To become an Erasmus+ exchange student at the University of Mining and Geology “St. Ivan Rilski”, Sofia, Bulgaria you have to:
- Be a student at a university that has signed a bilateral agreement with the University of Mining and Geology;
- Provide a nomination letter from your university; the letter should contain your full name and surname, gender, valid e-mail address, the requested period of your stay (autumn/spring semester, whole academic year); The nomination letter has to be signed by the Erasmus+ coordinator from your university and stamped.
- Provide a document for the level of knowledge of Bulgarian or the foreign language for the program / courses chosen from the catalogue below;
- Fill in and provide the student application form;
- Fill in and provide a Learning agreement form;
Required number of ECTS credits depend on your university rules but generally it is 25-30 per semester. In order to learn about the content of particular syllabi you should contact the head of the corresponding department (for the courses in Bulgarian) or the program / course leader (for courses in foreign language).
The mentioned above documents have to be signed (stamped where necessary) and sent to email@example.com with a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org
1st September – for autumn semester and whole academic year
15th January – for spring semester
The University of Mining and Geology (UMG) “St. Ivan Rilski” offers instruction in Bulgarian for all programs and courses taught at the university and in foreign language for study programs and courses pointed in the Catalogue.
Academic calendar 2021-2022
Accommodation and meals
Accommodation is possible student campus dorms. Internet is available for all habitants. In the neighborhood of dormitories there is a park. Playgrounds, sports halls, tennis courts, supermarkets are available around.
Dormitory deposit – 200 EUR (to be paid in Euro only) – it is one-time payment (made to the university account), which has to be done within 7 days after arrival.
The deposit will be returned to you at check-out. Type of payment: bank transfer only – detailed information are included in the proforma-invoice you will be provided. In case of the damage done in the dormitory room or damage of the dormitory property made by resident, missing payment for room in domitory, deposit (200 EUR) will be reduced respectively to costs.
For check-in you will need:
– 1 passport size photo,
– valid passport or ID card.
These documents are needed to prepare a Resident Card, which allows you to enter your dormitory.
Before you check-out:
– inform the Erasmus+ coordinator at the UMG as well as head of dormitory about your departure at least 5 working days ahead,
– make sure that all payments are made,
– in order to get back dormitory deposit deliver confirmation from the head of dormitory to the Accountant office,
– leave your room clean,
– give back keys room to the reception.
Inbound students can use the students’ canteen for lunch and dinner under the same conditions as the Bulgarian students. The average price is about 3-4 Euro/ meal.
Healthcare: Number 112 – English speaking operators are available.
Center for Emergency Medical Care: bul. „Vasil Levski“ 129, 1202 Sofia Center, Sofia, Open 24 hours, Phone: +359 2 935 7221
Emergency hospitals in Sofia
-Pirogov Emergency Institute //. Phone: +359 2 9154 411; 02 9154 213, bul. „General Eduard I. Totleben“ 21, 1606 Pette Kyosheta, Sofia, Bulgaria
The hospital treats life- threatening conditions and emergencies like severe allergies, poisoning, fractures, burn traumas, etc.
– The Military Medical Academy – operates the so called polytrauma emergency ward and it equipped to deal with all kinds of medical emergencies. ul. „Sveti Georgi Sofiyski“ 3, 1606 Sofia, Phone: +359 2 922 6000
Other hospitals in Sofia with 24 hour emergency services:
- University Hospital Tsaritsa Yoanna – ISUL /Болница ИСУЛ/ http://www.isul.eu/english/Kliniki/ot_speshno/za_klinikata.htm
- University Hospital ‘St Anna’ commonly known as Okruzna bolnitsa /Окръжна болница/ Phone: +359 2 975 9000
- Acibadem City Clinic Tokuda Hospital – a private hospital with an emergency ward. https://www.tokudabolnica.bg/en/
Just after arrival contact the Erasmus+ coordinator at the University of Mining and Geology. You have to bring following documents:
– valid ID card / passport,
– medical insurance.
In case you want to confirm your arrival with a document different from the end of the Student application form, please take the document which is required by your home university.
First week of your stay at the University of Mining and Geology is considered as orientation one. You are met with the teaching staff, mentors and a representative of the Students Council. This is also the time for making changes (if necessary) of the learning agreement.
At the end of your stay you have to bring to the Erasmus+ coordinator the following documents:
- If you have used the dormitory of the University of Mining and Geology – a confirmation from the head of dormitory (that you made all payments and no equipment is missing or damaged)
- If you have taken books or other materials from the library – a confirmation from the head of library that you have returned them.